Tuesday, June 9, 2009

T8 - Ya Gotta Eat - Bike/Run Brick

Gainesville

Bike : 60 minutes road or trainer, like last week this is all small chainring
work, low effort.

2 Lipodrene

I decided to try and brick my bike and run today since I wanted to start getting used to that. I had some cereal and coffee and headed out about 1. The bike felt great, pushed it in spots where I didn't necessarily want to, and made it through 18 miles in about an hour and 5. Not blazing by any stretch, but a marked improvement. This is what all the rides need to be like. I feel like living clean is improving the workouts.

Run: 45 minutes easy pace, RPE 3
Got back, had a gel, and was on the road within 10 minutes (pretty good for an apartment transition here). I still had to wear my old running shoes, but the run started out feeling good. I got to the halfway point and started feeling tired, and by the 3-mile mark I wanted to stop.

Fortunately I didn't, but I realized I need more nutrition than a bowl or Crispix for an hour bike ride and a 4.5-mile run. Maybe a cliff bar or something in addition to whatever I have for breakfast. Or maybe have the bar on the bike. I don't know, but I spent the rest of the day with a headache and feeling hungry, no matter how much I ate. All in all a good workout today, but I think I learned I need to think about energy consumption if I"m doing bricks like this.

Also, my knee didn't feel too bad on the run, but has been sore all day. I am going to move the long run to Sunday again, but if it is still hurting like this after that run, I'm going to lay off it for another week (until the next long run). I need this to heal, and missing some shorter workouts now is better, I think, than having to lay off it during longer, more important base workouts later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment