Sunday, June 28, 2009

T23 - Drafting Strangers - Bike

Gainesville

So I had an odd last night. I went and met this girl over at her house, and my boy shows up about an hour later with a bunch of people. They all start drinking, as do I, we play a little Ring of Fire, and I got to bed around 5. Everyone else stays up, my host coming into bed, drunk and demanding, around 6 or 7 (or both, I was a little drunk and a lot tired) but everyone else stayed up drinking. All night. Without coke. I have no idea how people stay up drinking until 10 a.m. without drugs, but somehow they managed. 10 a.m. and both me and this girl get calls on our phones from my friend. We ignore it, and ten minutes later, he calls us again. I figured it must be something important, so she answers. Turns out the guy he was riding out to breakfast with crashed into a tree right in front of Haile Village (ah, memories...)and he needed a ride home. I was hungover, tired, and fucked out and still had to drag my ass out of bed at 10:15 to go get him. I demanded brunch at Sisters' as my incentive for going out there. I was the only one who ate, and I paid, but damn, I think those waffles gave me the energy I needed for the workout.

Bike: 90 Minutes


2 Lipodrene
Given the heat and my exhaustion from the night before, I figured this workout would be quite sub-par. The first half was not fantastic, aside from making it to nigbridge in 26 and 30, but the headwind slowed me down until I turned around. I have a gel, and start to head back.

Maybe 4 miles into the return trip I pass this guy who looked about 40, also on a sport bike. I'm going about 19 or 20, and all of a sudden I hear this voice behind me after I pass him. No idea what it said, but I look back and this fucker is right on my ass. Uh, excuse me bro, but why the fuck are you drafting behind me? I don't even fucking know you! What the fuck makes you think I wanna make your workout easier for you?! But, you know, I don't say things like that unless it involves someone putting mayonnaise on a sandwich or taking too long to make a burrito, so I just decided to try and go so fast he couldn't keep up. I took it up to about 23 and the fucker was still there. Kept it up at 23.5 and seriously started to fell some labored breathing. I really didn't want this old fuck to pass me. Fortunately after about 3 miles he could no longer keep up and I let up a little.

I thought this burst of speed would wear my legs out, but fortunately I found myself still able to have a pretty solid ride back, no slower than usual. What this showed me is that I can probably push my bike rides harder than I have been. I just need some stranger to come and draft for no reason. Maybe he did me a favor, who knows. Trevor told me what he did is actually perfectly acceptable among cyclists. Of course, so is pissing yourself on the bike. So we'll see how long it is before I"m doing either.

No comments:

Post a Comment