Friday, June 19, 2009

T15 - Appreciating the Overcast - Run

Gainesville

Run -90 minutes


2 Lipodrene
So things may have looked good for me insofar as the long bike ride on Wednesday, but unfortunately the skies did not seem to agree. I put on my bike shorts, my bike jersey, and my shoes and walked my bike outside. I looked east towards Hawthorne and the sky was black. And given that I had to leave for Jacksonville at 5, I figured "Hey, better to get caught in the rain on a run than on a bike." So I went in, and opted for the long run, despite my knee.

Surprisingly, the knee did not hurt me much at all. As a matter of fact, the scratches on my neck were more painful as the sweat started getting into the parts that were cut up (that girl texted me later to tell me she was pretty sure I'd broken her collarbone. Even assuming she's exaggerating I think I'd prefer the stinging scratches. The cloud cover made a huge difference, as I was able to keep a good pace and really chopped my steps minimally. I actually picked up the pace when I got to the Law School, but I think this was due more to "You Could Be Mine" than any energy reserve I had.

I got back to my car for the turnaround, had a gel, and went back out for the final 30 minutes. I think the run actually ended up going about 95 minutes, but it felt good. I like training in the heat, but once in a while it's nice to not feel oppressed during the run. I still gotta use a little less iPod on these runs. I mean, it's ok, but I can't get dependent like I was the last time out.

The knee really only hurt at night, but during and after the run it was ok. I'm not sure if it's going to heal, but it doesn't really bother me either. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment