Tuesday, June 9, 2009

T7 - Fire Alarm - Run/Swim

Gainesville

Run: 45 minutes.
2 Lipodrene
Well, aside from having to use an old pair of shoes because the cheap insole the dipshit at Lloyd Clarke sold me was complete garbage, not much notable on the run today. I thought my knee was going to be killing me, but it felt good after about 3 blocks. Still not sure what to do about it, though. I want it to heal, but I'm not sure how to balance appropriate training and getting it back to 100%



Swim: long day
wu: 6 x 100, concentrating on different part of stroke each 100
main: 4 x 500, keeping each 500 even pace


1 Lipodrne
GHFC pool was more or less empty at 9 PM. This is why I prefer night swimming. I started out with my own lane but was quickly joined by a black guy. Which, you know, you don't see much at swimming pools but he was super cool despite swimming laps in board shorts.

This warm up is a great idea, although I found it hard to think about 6 different parts of the stroke. Shows how much I know. I started with follow-through, then reaching, hand position upon entry, in-water stroke and kick, then put it all together for the last 100. Really had me stroking well when I started the first set of 500.

Which was interrupted at lap 2 by the GHFC fire alarm going off. The black guy asked me if we should get out of the pool to which I said "Nah, probably just a false alarm. Keep goin!" Which I did, the sirens vaguely reminding me of some combat swim training I did in the Marines. I made it all of half a length when a staff member told me I needed to evacuate. And let me tell you, there are few things in the world more fun than standing out in front of your gym at 10 at night in a jammer and nothing else while the entire population of said gym is out there, waiting for the fire department. I kept to myself and sent some text messages, and thank God it was like 78 outside or I'd have froze my ass.

After about 20 minutes the fire department cleared the gym and I went back and finished my 4 sets of 500. Felt great on all of them, like my stroke was going really well and I got through the whole workout no problem. I just lost count of laps a few times as my mind was really wandering. But other than that, an all-around good workout today.

I ate a good pasta meal a few hours before the swim, which caused a brief sideache which may have been helped by the fire alarm delay. Also had some muscle milk afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment