Sunday, August 30, 2009

T70 - This Workout Needs to Be Crushed - Bike, Swim

Gainesville

Bike - 90 Minutes

2 Lipodrene
Indoor workouts are all well and good. And so are trainer sessions. But I had not been out on the road on my bike in a couple of weeks, and given my uninspiring performances in Kona, I decided today's bike needed to be crushed. As in, I needed to go hard the whole ride and see what I had. And if I couldn't do it, some shit was going to have to change.

And so I did.

After a slow first block or so, I just decided to go all out, and made it to nigbridge (strangely, no nigs at nigbridge) in under 25. Which I believe is a record. Then I made it to the turnaround point from that ride where I kept up with Trevor in UNDER 30 minutes, which, as you may recall, was the time we hit that crossing. At any rate, I averaged about 19 on the way down. Took a gel and headed back home.

Sadly, the way back was not as inspiring. It took me 48 minutes to get back and I ended up averaging 18.8. Which is still good, and a record for a 90-minute ride. But I would like to have kept the pace up the whole time. Regardless, this was exactly the kind of ride I had been looking for.

Swim - 1000 meter time trial, 1000 meter cruise, RPE 3

2 Lipodrene
Again, I decided there was no point in not going all out on the time trial here, since it would be good to see exactly how much better I had gotten at swimming. I got to the GHFC pool at 9:30 PM on a Friday, aka the pool was glass and completely empty. Opted to skip the warmup for a sort-of race simulation, given that I had a race 2 days later. I ended up doing the 1000 in 17 minutes flat, or there about,s which is about 3-4 minutes faster than the time trials I did during half-Ironman training. Now, I might have lost count and skipped some laps, although I don't think so. I was very pleased when I looked up and saw the time.

The second 1000 felt about twice as long. It wasn't, obviously, ended up being about 24 minutes, but it's amazing how much longer things take when you're not fully focused on getting them done as quickly as possible. So despite the lackluster 2nd 1000 meters (I wasn't trying for luster anyway) I feel this time trial was also sufficiently motivating. The workouts today definitely lived up to what I was trying to do, and gave me a good boost of confidence going into my first tuneup race over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment