Saturday, August 15, 2009

T60 - Opening the Second Half Strong - Bike, Swim

Gainesville


Bike - 90 Minutes


2 Lipodrene
I had to literally go and pick my bike up from the shop for this ride, before it was fixed. Essentially borrowing my own bike, which was kinda weird, but highly necessary. This wouls also be my last ride without a computer, which I was glad to be able to tell myself.

Of course, because I woke up at my usual crack of 11:15 and dawdles around for a while before heading over to the bike shop and picking up my bike. Ran a few errands, watched Maury, then saw that at 3 the skies decided to open up. So I had to sit in my living room waiting for the rain to stop until I could go for my ride. It was nice, though, by the time the rain let up at 4, the air had cooled down a lot and I was able to really put some umph behind this ride. The week-or-so off of the bike had dome me well, and I felt like I was maintaining in the 18-20 range the whole time. Of course, I had to go by the clock on time, meaning I was probably out there less than 90 minutes, but the ride felt good. I think the highlight may have been staying in my bike clothes and taking it back to the shop before it closed at 6. Always fun to wear those kinds of outfits in public. But the ride felt strong and I'm looking forward to this bike-intensive "week." I put this in quotations because the week will span from this Wednesday to next Thursday with 2 extra rest days thrown in. These are mostly travel days, and days set aside for the big Poison/Def Leppard show in West Palm.


Swim: race-specific
wu: 2 x 75, last 25 in each is backstroke.
main: 3 x 600, first at RPE 4, 2 at RPE 8, 3 at RPE 4


2 Lipodrene
I'm not real sure what exactly about 3 sets of 600 meter swims was "race specific," but I'm sure whoever wrote these training cards had his reasons. I decided to split this workout into two and not even attempt to brick it, so I did the swim second. I only put the RPEs up here to denote that I did NOT in fact do the second set at RPE 8. This who swim felt terrific, as I continue to remind myself to use my right side in the manner in which it is supposed to be used. That being said, I wasn't going to be able to maintain RPE 8 for 12 laps after a bike ride. Should I have at least given it a shot? Yes, yes I should. And perhaps this will serve as motivation to try to sack up and do it that way the next time around. But whatever. Nothing particularly memorable about this swim except the fact that i had no problems with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment