Thursday, July 23, 2009

T44 - Fueled By KFC - Swim

Gainesville

I went out to get my oil changed today before heading to GHFC for my swim. I had about an hour to kill, so after my futile trip to Wal Mart looking for a digital camera, I spotted a KFC across the street from the oil change place. Yeah, I knew I had a swim coming up, but, honestly, I was hungry and I was eager to try one of those new $5 lunch baskets they have. I got 3 chicken strips, an order of potato wedges a biscuit and a Diet Pepsi for $5 and change. And I was full. And I love nothing more than being full for $5. but I also knew this was not the best idea for a pre-workout meal, as even back when I just did little treadmill runs after lifting I felt like shit if I'd had fast food beforehand. But fuck it. I needed fuel and Subway's meat has just gotten disgusting.

Swim:
8 x 300 as 2x(300 easy, 300 kick, 300 easy, 300 pull)


2 Lipodrene (shit finally came in the mail today. NO thanks to the Jefferson 2nd Staff, who apparently have abandoned their policy of notifying you when you have a package. Well, at least I know I probably won't get any Anthrax unless I'm expecting it)

I went back to the old goggles today. I like the new ones, but they're just too fucking tight, so I'm only using them for outdoor swims where i need the UV blockers. Anyway, this was an odd workout, and I found myself losing count a lot. I had to use the scoreboard-envisioning technique a lot, where I visualize digital numbers tracking my progress like "Set 1/2, Lap 4/6." It works to a point, but during the kick sets it's so long you can easily forget. So I may have done the entire thing, a few laps less, or a few laps more. Who knows? What I do know is the fried chicken did not affect me in the slightest, aside from the occasional burp-up of Original Recipe and barbecue sauce. Otherwise, swim went just fine.

And it wasn't because the fast food hadn't had time to set in either. Like a lot of swims, I really didn't get going until about lap 15 or 16, meaning after I was warmed up, and using glucose instead of oxygen, I was still going strong. So the swim was good, nothing notably bad, but nothing amazing either. Hard to do amazing on a swim like this during recovery week. but it went as well as it could have.

I skipped the 45 minute run today. Definitely wasn't too tired to do it, but I really need this knee to heal up. I only pushed off on my right leg today in the pool, and despite my long walk to Wal Mart it feels better today. Hopefully by week's end it's back to 80-90%. But this is the kind of run you skip to heal up a knee, so no guilt here.

No comments:

Post a Comment